DIY Painted Fridge Makeover Tutorial

Hey all!!

Did you see the results of last weeks So You Think You’re Crafty competition??

The theme was “In the Kitchen” and I cam in 6th with this little cutie:

painted fridge 1

I was pretty proud of that because when I heard the theme, it sounded easy at first, but then I took a look at my very outdated and in need of a complete overhall version of a kitchen. Yeah. It would have been nice if I could have gutted it first, but that was not an option. So I wanted to go with a craft that would brighten things up! I was going through some options and that is when Wade jokingly said “why don’t you paint the fridge” and it sounded perfect!

So I did!

I started with cleaning the whole thing off. There was some sticker residue in some areas so we used wd40 to quickly remove that, just make sure you clean it afterwards to remove the greasy type surface that it may leave. It took no time at all.

fridge one

Then I painted the fridge, I used a paint and primer all in one paint and chose a semi gloss so it would be easier to clean. I got a sponge roller and a small brush and just got started. I will tell you right now, the first coat does not cover well and you start wondering if you made the right decision. Just keep going, apply at least another two coats. I did the sides, front and top and then took the little brush to get into all the small parts. I only taped where I really had to which was around the seal, otherwise I just winged it, I paint enough to do a pretty decent job even without tape.

fridge two

I let it dry for a whole day before I started anything else. I knew I wanted a place for pictures, notes and for Avery to play. The last part was easy, a chalkboard, but I wanted to fancify it a bit with a gold molding frame. I just cut the molding, spray painted it and started to hang it with, wait for it, hot glue. Now hear me out first, I did this for a specific reason, it holds fine BUT if and when I want to change things up a bit, the hot glue will pop right off the fridge and not leave one mark behind. It is perfect for me because I change my mind a lot and imagine sometime next year I will want to redo the whole thing again and this way, I am not damaging or making permanent changes to our fridge.  I used the level to hang the first piece and then lined up the rest of the pieces as I went.  I chose to paint the chalkboard paint after, I don’t know if I have a justifiable reason for this, but that is what I did. I also applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint, but you have to let each coat dry completely before you apply the next or it just pulls it off.

fridge three

After that, I applied a couple of coats of polycyrlic to the whole fridge to give it an extra layer of protection. I didn’t want it under the chalkboard paint as I wasn’t sure what it would do so I just did it after and went around the frame.

polycrylic

After everything was dry, I added some spray painted magnet frames to the freezer door and a dry erase sign I cut with the Cricut for notes and lists. On the side, I spray painted one of the laser cut frames and added some wire and mini clothespins to make a little photo space. I couldn’t add the photos in for the competition pictures as we need to stay anonymous, so, some cute project life pieces took the place and I love how they look with the fridge!

painted fridge 3

The before and after is like night and day. I could not be happier with the way it came out!!!

painted fridge 2

This week’s theme is Upcycle! Make sure you go vote please!!!

50 Responses to DIY Painted Fridge Makeover Tutorial

1. Martini September 11, 2013 at 6:49 am #

I am always looking at DIY Projects but I must saay that this is my first time seeing a painted refrigerator. Your color of choice definitely makes its different from the norm… I never would have thought to so this but I love it!

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:07 am #

Thanks so much!! I am really happy with it even though it is pretty bright.

2. Cocoa & Heart September 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

This is an amazing project – I could never belive that you can actually paint a fridge. I like the final result – very homely and crafty looking fridge and what a transformation from what it was before. I like to upcycle and recycle things myself, so when our fridge needs a bit of TLC I will try this.

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:07 am #

It is super easy and did wonders for my kitchen- thanks!

3. Norma Kay Lawson Neal September 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

What a clever idea!!! Kids love the magnetic properties of the refrigerator door. You took it to a new level. Adding the chalkboard at kid level was great. I had a large school chalkboard on my wall that occupied my children endlessly.

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:06 am #

It does a great job of distracting her from the dangerous parts of the kitchen!

4. Brian September 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Wow! Never seen anything like this, you did an amazing job. You are welcome to come fix our house up anytime!!!

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:06 am #

LOL, at some point, I may have to start crafting at other people’s houses!

5. Erin @ My Mommy World September 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Super cute! I can’t believe you didn’t get first place with this! I love the frames you put on the front, and the little chalkboard is just adorable :)

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Thanks so much!! I think it all started with the frames :)

6. Ruth Hill September 11, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

This is an amazing project! My hat is off to you. I doubt I would ever do anything so ambitious, but you did this really well, and I thank you for sharing.

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Generally I just start things, if I think too much, there is a chance I could talk myself out of it!

7. Tiffany H September 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

LOVE this! What a fun makeover and one that pretty much anyone could do. I am pinning this for sure…good luck with the competition!
    hugs-
    Tiff

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Totally doable for everyone- most of my crafts are designed that way!

8. Wendy September 12, 2013 at 5:01 am #

I love your creativity & bravery! Not many people would be willing to paint their fridge. It turned out great!

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Thanks, but I did design it planning on changing my mind lol that generally happens every year or so!

9. Yolanda September 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

WHOA!!! AMAZING! I have an old fridge in the garage I was going to pitch and now I have GOT to try this!! I bet mine won’t be as cute as yours…but I will give it a shot!! You are quite talented :):)

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:02 am #

You totally should!! I would love to see it when it is done!

10. Kelly September 12, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

That is so cool. My very conventional hubby would never go for it, but maybe I could start smaller…like the beer fridge?

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Sounds like the perfect place to start!! Baby steps….

11. Patricia September 13, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Neat idea. I am not brave enough to try on my own fridge, but I love the Idea. hummm, pink fridge anyone?

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 4:21 am #

I would love to try a pink fridge, (with white accents and doilies?!) but my husband would totally not go for that, turquoise I can get away with lol!

12. Lindsey September 13, 2013 at 4:05 am #

I’ve never seen a fridge like this before. I had no idea you could paint one! Wow! Your explanation was easy to understand too.

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 4:20 am #

Thanks!! I is much easier than I thought too, and I even did it with my 3 year old trying to ‘help’ the whole time! lol

13. Kecia September 13, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

I have never heard of anyone painting a fridge – but you did an amazing job! I think the chalkboard area is perfect for kids.

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

She loves it, which is very helpful while I am cooking- lol!

14. Peggy September 14, 2013 at 1:35 am #

Wow, you are talented and brave. I don’t think I would have ever painted the refrigerator. But you did a great job and I love the frames. The chalkboard was a great idea too. Congratulation on 6th place… you did very well.

15. Beingomma September 14, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Oh my! How cute! And you are so brave. I am not sure I would have been calm about taking a paint brush to my fridge. Now you have got me to thinking…. :-)

• delicateconstructionbymichelle@gmail.com September 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks so much!! I appreciate it!

16. Lynnette N. September 14, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

This is so cute and out of the box! I love seeing homes and projects that are not the norm! I love the little chalkboard on the fridge!

17. Emilee September 15, 2013 at 3:14 am #

Amazing! I never would have thought of painting the fridge! That looks gorgeous! I love how you went above and beyond with all of the extras, too!

18. Marisa September 16, 2013 at 1:48 am #

Oh my word its adorable!! It reminds me of a vintage fridge but is so whimsy and loveable that it no longer seems to just be “the fridge” now its a functional piece of art that happens to keep things cold! Awesome job! Thanks for sharing!

19. Ana @MommysBundle September 16, 2013 at 1:59 am #

I never even knew painting a fridge was an option! The before and after photos are incredible – you are very talented!!

I wish I had the skills to do some of these DIY projects!!

20. Rant Relief September 16, 2013 at 2:51 am #

Your fridge looks so retro and cool! I love it!

21. Chinky September 16, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Oooooh! You’re fridge is soooooo cute! I think this will entice us to stop and admire the fridge instead of constantly opening and closing it! LOL But seriously, you did a great job with it! :)

22. pam russo September 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Wonderful transformation. I remember, a long time ago when I attempted to spray paint my refrigerator. It turned out ok, but not as nice as yours!

23. Sandra September 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Wow! Chapeau, it looks amazing! This is a keeper and I might do my fridge after we moved!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

24. Britney @ The Princess & Her Cowboys September 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

So fun! I love the color and the accents that you used! That’s good about the polycrylic stuff. I probably wouldn’t have thought of that.

25. Scarlett September 17, 2013 at 4:18 am #

Wow! That is SOME DIY project! I NEVER would have thought of that! Great job bringing new life to an appliance! We are getting a new fridge, due to ours dying, but I love the additional magnet pieces. I love the frames, the special cut dry erase board, and the photo hanging. These are simple touches anyone can make to “class up” their fridge.

26. Sylina September 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

That is AWESOME!! I love it! I would love to do something like that with my kitchen but am afraid to add too much color in my kitchen….hmmmm

27. Ryan (@bigcalfguy) September 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I love this idea! I am slooowly replacing appliances in our 100 year old Northeastern farmhouse. This is a fun weekend project that would take the edge off the ugly old thing in the corner until I can get around to replacing it!

28. Jamie (Mama.Mommy.Mom.) September 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

That is super cute! A friend of mine painted her fridge with chalkboard paint and I’ve been dying to do it since!

29. Sandra September 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

I think you are so brave also. I think when you really put yourself into a project like this you will enjoy it every time you look at it.

30. Whitney September 18, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

Wow! What an amazing job! I’m an Interior Designer and must say, I’m not that big on DIY projects for the home. I don’t like a home to look “crafty” unless it’s an office or reflects the home dwellers. Your fridge doesn’t look that way at all. You did a wonderful job and it looks very professional. The magnets and framed chalkboard is very fun! Love it!

Whitney

31. Divachyk September 19, 2013 at 2:07 am #

Oh nice!!! I love this project. I am becoming more of a DIYer. I recently put up a backsplash in my bathroom and was so proud of myself.
    Relaxed Thairapy

32. Holly September 19, 2013 at 3:19 am #

That is so cool! What a great way to reuse and renew an older fridge! Love the chalk frame and the little frames! Never would have thought of that! Great job!!!!!

33. Rachel September 19, 2013 at 3:50 am #

Cute idea. Love how you included unique ways to make it useful for you with the chalkboard and picture area.

34. M@SSBD September 20, 2013 at 4:47 am #

OMG! This is a GREAT idea! I have the ugliest fridge on the outside, but the inside gets the job done. I have never thought about painting it before. Putting this on the list!

35. Jessica Blankenship September 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

I LOVEEEEEEEEE it! It really suites your kitchen! I wish I could do something like this! It’ll have to wait until I move though! Thanks for the inspiration!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blogelina 2013 Commentathon – Group Six | Blogelina - September 11, 2013

[…] http://delicateconstruction.com/2013/09/diy-painted-fridge-makeover-tutorial.html […]