I {heart} Molding

I know that we are half way into January, but, what did you get for Christmas??
I got a mitre box!!
Yeah I know, last year I got a sander and I use it all the time. I am all about a gift I can use, especially for crafting and sometimes that goes beyond the traditional scrapbook paper and ribbon.
I wanted a fun project where I could practice making cuts so I came up with this:

A fun heart for Valentines day!!
Click “Read More” to see the tutorial!

Ok, first things first, bust open your mitre box!
Then make a rough sketch- yup this is the third version, imagine what the first one looked liked.
I knew it was going to be rather angular because of how it was made so doing it on lined paper helped, in the picture I thought that one line was going to be one inch on the molding but that seemed small so I just made one line equal two inches and doubled all these numbers. This sketch, as rough as it was, is a neccesity, before I made each cut I held it up to the picture and made sure it was going in the right direction and the measurements were right. There was some thinking involved but in a fun number puzzle kind of way.
I can tell you right now that after my husband read that last sentence, he got a “what the….” look on his face because “fun” and “numbers” don’t belong in the same sentence.
Moving on.
Mark your molding after you make the measurements, Cricut mats that are old and unsticky {yeah not a word but you know what I mean} are great work mats because they protect the surface and have a ruler on them.
Then make your cuts. I found personally, the mitre box is like a finger trap, the harder you try, the harder it is, if you just relax and let it do it’s thing, it works much better.

I was using scrap molding from the garage (but about 4 ft should do this project and this is the $.62 a ft molding) so I just started with the piece that matched the ends of what I was using, meaning the first piece had one flat end so I cut the middle piece on each side. I did one at a time and double checked before I cut, always check your sketch, color them in even after you cut them to keep yourself organized. Here is one half of the heart.
Then the other half.
Once that was done, I grabbed a scrap piece of wood and painted it white, I find that gesso which is like a primer is great for this because it is thicker and covers better.
Next, I painted the molding red with some acrylic paint.
I placed them all together on the board once they were dry to eyeball it and then when it was where I wanted, I glued them down one at a time.
I did a combo of liquid glue and hot glue, the hot glue holds it until the liquid glue dries, I like the combo, I feel it is better than either one alone.
And done!!

504 Main
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

monogram
Photobucket

The Shabby Nest

Photobucket
Over the weekend I party at:

#ff63e0

Fantabulous Friday!

Photobucket
UndertheTableandDreaming

17 Responses to I {heart} Molding

1. Jen the CraftinCowgirl January 18, 2012 at 2:12 am #

Hi, stopping over from Mine for the Making. Love your blog, I’m a new follower! LOVE the heart, sooo creative. I want a Mitre now!!!!

2. Susanna January 18, 2012 at 5:15 am #

What a fun and creative idea! Just in time for Valentine’s Day next month. Love it. Can I have a Mitre too??!

3. Kara @ Mine for the Making January 18, 2012 at 5:39 am #

Omg… I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!

4. Lindsay January 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

I LOVE this! The molding idea is genius! Thanks for inspiring us!

5. Rose January 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

How sweet! Thanks for the great tutorial!

6. Karin January 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

i Love that I’m not the only woman that is excited to get power tools for Christmas! When I tell people that they look at me like why would you ask your husband to get you that, with there head tilted to the side like a dog when they look at you all confused. Love the project, very original. Come check me out at http://www.yankeedoodledesigns.com

7. Kimberly @ The Brown Eyes Have It January 20, 2012 at 4:57 am #

That is so cool! I love it! How very creative!!

8. Janet January 21, 2012 at 8:31 am #

This is so fun! That’s so true about the miter box, I sometimes have the same problems with mine. :)

9. PitterAndGlink January 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I love this! Making a heart out of molding–brilliant! :)

10. Mariah January 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

I L.O.V.E. this cute little craft!! Great job!!

11. Mariah January 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

I L.O.V.E. this!!! Great job!!

12. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper January 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

This turned out great! Good job. I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!

13. Lindsay January 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today from my Show & Share party! Thanks for linking up!

14. Bonnie ~ a wee Meenit January 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

this is so outside the box thinking, great job!!
    I would love for you to link this to my “wait a wee meenit Wednesday’s’ party here:
    thanks!

15. Michelle Paige January 24, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

I’ve never seen a valentine quite like this one! Wow-I love it! Would you be willing to link it up to my Valentine Link Party going on now? I’d love to have you. Thanks, Michelle

16. Katie's Nesting Spot January 26, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Oh my goodness, how creative I’d never in a million years look at molding and see a heart! I already know my co-hostess if featuring your project this week…but if she wasn’t I would for sure. Fabulous!

17. Emily @ 52 Mantels January 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Such an incredibly creative and CUTE idea!! I’d love for you to link up at Thursdays are YOUR days going on right now!

I’m your newest follower!! Love your cute blog!