I finally hopped on the bandwagon!!

Ok, we have all seen these around blogland, so that mixed with the fact that they are really one of the easiest crafts ever, explains the lack of tutorial for…
My very own dollar store apothecary jars!!!!!!!!!!
I am a dork because I hadn’t made these before due to the fact that I didn’t think I had anywhere to put them being that they are glass. Glass is, for the most part, a huge no no in my house because of all the children and animals and the idea of shattered glass makes me shudder. But I was doing the dishes and staring at the empty triangle shaped space behind the sink that just gets constantly filled with random crap daily and thought “that is the perfect spot!” empty and if they did get knocked over by a cat, it wouldn’t be the end of the world because the glass wouldn’t fall all over the floor.
That lengthy thought process ended up sending me strait to the Dollar Tree to get my candle sticks and vases, and a spur of the moment purchase… rice. I used my Gorilla glue that I had on hand and glued the sticks to the vases and then I used green food coloring to color the rice and poured it inside.
To color the rice just put it in a bowl and add the food coloring and stir until it is all colored- we would do this all the time at the preschool and then mix up the colors; loads of fun =).

Last I just added some candles I had in my box o’ candles (you know you have one) and done!
Finally!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

9 Responses to I finally hopped on the bandwagon!!

1. Amy March 4, 2011 at 5:00 am #

Oooooo! I really like the globe ones! My Dollar Tree only had the tall skinny ones. I’ll have to search for some globes!

Amy

2. Phuong March 4, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Linking up from The Girl Creative Blog Hop, but I’m already a follower! Love this! I think you’ve inspired me to attempt at making one too!

3. Kara @ Mine for the Making March 4, 2011 at 6:13 am #

LOVE dollar tree apothecary!! 😉 yours are lovely of course!

4. Theresa March 4, 2011 at 6:38 am #

That Gorilla Glue is the best thing since sliced bread, huh?! Your blog got me reminiscing about when my kiddos were younger…the finger-painting, sorting, sensory table fun.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming my newest follower ~ I’m now yours!
    Cheers!
    Theresa

5. Phoenix Peacock March 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

They look STUNNING in that little nook behind the sink

6. Kristen March 5, 2011 at 12:42 am #

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I’ve been seeing those apothecary jars everywhere recently, too – great job!

Happy Friday
    Kristen

7. Amy @ Increasingly Domestic March 5, 2011 at 7:22 am #

They really are such a great way to decorate and for so cheap too! I love that you used the round candle holders…they add such great interest.

8. Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea March 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Very chic. I made these, too.

9. southernscraps March 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Those look great in that spot! Thanks for visiting and following my blog.